This week is Old Fashioned Week – a 10 day celebration of the most classic of cocktails, the Old Fashioned. It is incredibly easy to make and should be in every home entertainers’ repertoire!
This is your guide to making the perfect old fashioned.
The perfect old fashioned should be three things, a holy trinity of sorts: Balanced, Assertive and Clean.
Start with Woodford Reserve - perfectly balanced (and the official bourbon of Old Fashioned Week.) You’re balancing the sweet vanilla, cinnamon & cocoa in the Bourbon with the complex aromatics of clove, gentian and quinine of the Angostura bitters.
Both comforting and contrasting – sweet and aromatic, with crisp citrus notes and spice punctuating the palate.
Simple, premium ingredients, nothing more.
So, dig out the bottle of bitters, grab a bottle of Woodford Reserve and get ready to settle in for the night.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 60ml Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- 2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 1 Sugar Cube
- 10ml Sparkling water (Optional)
- 1 Orange Twist
- Place sugar cube on a napkin and cover with 2 dashes of bitters
- Drop cube into the bottom of a rocks glass break cube with a spoon.
- Add water and stir till sugar is dissolved
- Add ice to the glass
- Add 30ml of Bourbon and stir 15 rotations
- Add the remaining 30ml of Bourbon and stir another 15 times
- Garnish with an Orange twist